Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm sorry, but I refuse to shave my head.

(I spend a good deal of time and money maintaining my naturally blond hair.) And I can't devote 5 hours a day to meditation. (Unless sleep counts.) I look terrible in bright orange, so the monk robe thingy is out, too. And much as I want to, I can't afford to take a trip to Tibet. (Yet.)

But, I do consider myself spirchul. I believe in that saying: "We aren't human beings having a spiritual experience; we're spiritual beings having a human experience." I've read Eckhart Tolle and Deepak Chopra, I believe in The Secret (shhh), and I go to group meditation every Wednesday night. But I also have two kids who need rides to lacrosse practice and piano lessons. I have a house to clean, a yard to mow, papers to grade, bills to pay, friendships to maintain, cats to torment. You get the picture.

So if we can get 8-minute abs and microwave a meal in 3, can I straighten out my soul in just a few minutes a day? At least while I am working toward that twice daily, 30-minute meditation habit. (I'm up to 20 minutes...once a day...most days....)

Well, I'm gonna try.

And here is where I will post my results. I also, however, reserve the right to use this as a place to vent about how freaking hard it is to maintain my spirituality in this "real world" that I live in. I am a neat freak; my 13 year old's bedroom is about to be shut down by the health department. (She is on her 3rd and final notice.) I get road rage at the dude with the "impressive" woofers that vibrate my car so much it makes my lips itch. I have no patience with people who are always late or (worse) cancel at the last minute. (You know who you are A.J...) And I tend to be a tiny...bit...impulsive. (I bought "Rapid Lash" on Amazon a few weeks ago. There, I admit it. But my eyelashes DO look su-weet.)

So you probably won't find Zen-like, mountaintop wisdom here. I'm just a mortal, like you. I have very few "A-ha!" moments. (More like "A-huh?") And I clearly overuse parentheses. Forgive me.

But one thing I do have going for me: I can find humor in just...about...everything. So, I might make you laugh...and I guess that's good for the soul, too.

3 comments:

  1. Love your Blog name, perfect!
    And I get to be your first comment too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your second commenter, I'd say that the hardest part of a spirchul journey is being surrounded by "people" who are not and never intend to be on a journey of any kind(except maybe the journey to the liquor store). It's hard to float in the ethereal(sp) plane while being dragged down by dead weight. . .nawatimean

    kb

    ReplyDelete
  3. HiKrista, I heard about your blog on Facebook....
    This is, as I say on Facebook, Sa-weeet!

    ReplyDelete